Friday, November 12, 2010

First Snow

The temperatures have been dipping into the low 20's at night time.  Being mid-November, the locals have been commenting about the lack of snow.  Last year, it snowed in September.  This year, nothing so far.

I enthusiastically watch the weather.  I have no idea why, but weather fascinates me.  It's probably because we never really had weather in California.  It was nearly always 78 degrees and sunny.  In the winter, it rained some.  But it never really seemed like "weather" to me.  But I'm always checking www.wunderground.com or www.weather.com.  I know, weird, huh?

Here the weather is really something interesting.  It's changing and diverse.  We get rain in the summer.  It snows in the winter.  Fall is actually a season here!  Can you imagine??

So I watched as the weather websites were calling for snow and/or rain last night and today.  I couldn't help myself but to drive up to the property to see the clouds for myself last night just before dusk.  There was a bright glowing spot where the sun was setting and it was giving off brilliant hues of yellow and gold.  And to the north of that you could clearly see that it was snowing on the Sangre de Cristo range.  Finally, the snow was on its way.

I awoke this morning at 7:00.  Got dressed and opened the door to take the dogs for their walk.  And it was snowing!  Big fluffy flakes falling to the ground.  Schultz didn't pay much attention to it, but Mindy was wondering what the heck was going on!

We walked our usual walk down by the river.  I could feel the snowflakes softly fall upon my face.  There was only a tiny bit of accumulation on the ground, but I didn't care.  It was snowing.  The trees are starting their long winter sleep.  The landscape is changing.

I know that all too soon I'll be longing for spring.  But for now, I want to just enjoy the snow.

No comments: