Sunday, March 25, 2012

Writing

I've been wanting to sit down and write.  I've had musings going through my head for several days... but nothing cohesive.  Little bits of stories here and there... nothing much interesting.

Brutus, Lucy & Mindy
I've been having "Schultz" moments now and then.  I sure miss my beautiful boy.  But yesterday as I was leaving our driveway, Mindy and Lucy in the back excited about going for their daily walk, I decided to take my new friend, Brutus, with us.  Being a male German Shepherd, I immediately took to him.  Love those German Shepherd dogs.

I drove around the corner and into the little courtyard area in the middle of our block.  That's where the parking is for 10-15 homes on our block.  And that's also where Brutus lives.  The lady of the house was sitting on her back porch enjoying the beautiful spring morning.  I introduced myself and asked if I could take their dog for a run.  She called hubby who said, "Sure... no problem!"

Now here's a dog whom I had never seen off of his chain in the back yard.  He was frightening when I first met him.  Snarling and snapping with those huge teeth.  After I turned my back on him he finally calmed down.  And  it has taken much patience and many visits to get him to the point he is today.

So I unclipped his chain and led him to my car with my girls inside.  He hopped right in no problem at all.  But he stayed toward the back of the car not at all sure of what was going on.  He was so cute as I watched him in the rear-view mirror... sitting there against the back window of the car.  His head hit the slope of the roof which pushed his ears down at comical angles.
Brutus riding shotgun

The girls didn't pay to much attention to him.  They handled the situation perfectly.  Then when we reached the property, I opened the back of the car and everyone baled out for a frolic.

He enjoyed our walk so much.  He seemed a little aloof and unsure at first, but quickly got into the groove.  As we hiked up one of the trails, the girls naturally went far ahead of me.  They usually do that... they run ahead and come back, then leave, then come back.  Brutus followed them, but I was amazed to see him come back to see where I was, then he went off again.  He did that twice in less time that the girls ever did.  That was also a Schultz thing, he kept a close eye on me.

We all enjoyed the warm, spring weather.  Such a beautiful day.

When it was time to go our guest hopped into the car.  But this time he didn't want to sit in back.  He wanted to ride shotgun.  I tried my best to get him to go in the back, but he wasn't having it.  So I let him sit in front.

It was really hard putting him back on his chain.  There in the back yard... no companionship... no one to love him.  Of course, I love our girls.  But I have a special place in my heart for German Shepherds.


Mindy & Brutus behind the shooting range.

1 comment:

Anni said...

You're such a "good old soul", so sweet of you to take Brutis. I hope he can come over and spend time with all of you and get off that chain occationally.