Thursday, May 2, 2013

Spring?

Bubble wrap greenhouse
Well, the calendar says that it's Spring anyway.  Friday I was driving down our mountain and when I entered town, I saw that the local nursery was open.  It's only open maybe 2 months out of the year and I'm so anxious to get my tomatoes started.  So I stopped in and bought some heirloom tomato plants.  Saturday, I went into New Mexico and bought some good Miracle Grow soil.  Then when I came home, the 70 degree weather got to me and I went ahead and put those plants in the ground.

Sunday, it was warm.  Monday was even warmer.  It was a good day to air out the house after being shut up all winter so all of the doors and windows were open.  It even started to get a little hot for me... 84 degrees is too hot.  I don't like it that hot.  So I started closing windows to keep some of the cool inside.

Tuesday it rained.  I decided to make a little greenhouse out of bubble wrap for my tomatoes.

Snow on May 1 2013
Wednesday it snowed.  And snowed.  And snowed.

Today it's clearing up.  Most of the snow has already melted.  I just went outside to check on my little heirlooms and they seem to be doing fine.  Imagine that -- a bubble-wrap greenhouse.  All I know is that I will be enjoying delicious heirloom tomatoes way before anyone else here in Trinidad.

I thought I'd put this picture up of some claw marks on this tree.  I noticed this while out on one of my walks the other day.  This is either a mountain lion, or a bear.  I'm thinking that it's probably a lion.  These marks start at my eye level and go down at least 2 feet.  Incredible what these animals are all about.  I haven't ever seen one, but I know they're there.


Claw marks from mountain lion

No comments: