Saturday, September 17, 2011

Colorado Cruising



The river between Salida and Canon City

Several months ago Les and I were talking about how we had to get away... just the two of us.  We picked a date -- any date -- and that date was last weekend.

We don't get away very often.  I work so much.  I'm not complaining too badly because I wouldn't want it any other way, but being self-employed has its downside, too.  No vacation time.  No sick time.  And if you do happen to take a day or two off, your work doesn't get done while you're away.


Be that as it may, I took Friday and Monday off for a long weekend getaway.   We decided to just explore part of this beautiful state of Colorado.  And we had a magical time.

Friday morning we left our little home bright and early.  We drove up to Pueblo and then turned left -- heading west into the next valley.  We saw the lovely little town of Salida with its old buildings and quaint downtown.  It reminded me of Trinidad, but many of the buildings seemed better loved.  I really liked Salida.

Then we turned north to head to Aspen.  We've never been to Aspen, but I've always wanted to see it.  We took the Independence Pass which was awesome. 

Sometimes people pass the word, "Awesome," around with such a casual attitude.  In the case of Independence Pass, I was truly in awe.  Pictures just don't do it justice.  We climbed the twisting windy road up and above the timber-line.  The valley behind us was getting further and further away.  The rivers and the trees!  It was absolutely majestic! 



After going over the pass the road dropped us right into Aspen.  I'm sure it's a great place... if it weren't for all the people, stores and cars.  I couldn't wait to leave.  But we had driven for many hours already that day so we stopped in Snowmass Village -- a quieter neighbor of Aspen.  We stayed in a very nice hotel and Les and I took advantage of the Happy Hour going on in the restaurant.   He sipped a beer and I my wine.  We talked, enjoyed the sunshine, and listened to the little brook tripping down through the grass below.  The clean, cool, fresh Colorado air just felt so good. 

After a couple of drinks we enjoyed dinner at the restaurant, then retired to our room.  We fell asleep early and dreamed.  I just love to travel with my husband.  It's so fun just to talk to him and not worry about work, cleaning the house, or anything.  And this trip was going to be the kind of trip we've never taken before.  Just get in the car and drive.  Whatever road you want to turn onto... just make the turn.  Nowhere we have to be.  No one we have to see. 

I'll write more about the trip in another post.
The Abbey and Canon City

Toward the top of Independence Pass



Salida, CO

Salida, CO

No comments: