Thursday, September 22, 2011

Colorado Cruising - Part 2

After waking in Snowmass Village we decided to go check out the Maroon Bells.  My beautiful sister, Gail, told me that we just need to see the Maroon Bells.  They don't allow private cars up there this time of year, but they have a shuttle bus that runs every 20 minutes.  We hopped on board and rode the few miles up the canyon.  When the bus stopped and let everyone off, we hiked down to the lake.

Absolutely majestic!  Words can't describe.  You feel as though it's a preview of heaven. And to think that this valley used to be owned by a very wealthy man, who gave it away so that others can also stand in awe at the edge of this lake.  Thank you, kind sir.

After reluctantly leaving the Maroon Bells, we got back to our little Subaru and headed north.  We had no particular destination planned.  Les wanted to see the tunnels on I70.  So once we got to the Interstate, we turned east.

After driving a bit on the Interstate, we talked about where we wanted to go next.  It was only Saturday.  We didn't have to be home until Monday.  Les was a tiny bit anxious because he doesn't usually "just drive."  We talked about going to Vail.  I reluctantly agreed, but I really wasn't crazy about the idea.  But as we drove we saw a sign that said "Steamboat Springs."  Hey, let's go there!

We (thankfully) left I70 for the quaintness of a 2 lane country road.  Heading north again, we drove for a couple of hours on a nice, smooth, country road.  We reached Steamboat Springs toward the later part of the afternoon.  Checked into a Holiday Inn and then went out to explore the town.

It's a really cute little town.  Quite a ski town in the winter, but summer wasn't crowded.  There are many nice little shops downtown.  I didn't buy anything.  Les bought a red jacket.   We had fun with a new game, though.  Remember the "slug bug" game?  Whenever you see a VW you call out, "Slug Bug Red!"  (Or whatever color it happens to be.)  We played that, only with Subarus.  I'm telling you, every third car was a Subaru.  I've heard more than once that it's the Colorado State Car!

And I'm so happy with our Subaru, too.  33 miles per gallon average on this trip.  And that was on winding mountain roads.  Up to 11,000 feet and back down.  I'm amazed.

Night 3 to follow... we stayed at the Stanley!   Woooooooo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Tom and I need to get away for even a long weekend. Who took care of the dogs? Your pictures are amazing. They remind me of Convict Lake outside of Mammoth Lakes. Makes me want to go back soon or at least before the snow starts.