Sunday, February 5, 2012

Skyscapes

Most people appreciate beautiful views.  Les and I have found what we believe is an absolutely marvelous piece of heaven with a gorgeous view.  But some people may say, "Wow, you have such a pretty view.  Too bad it's so cloudy today."

Not me.

For me, half of my gorgeous view is the sky.  And here in Trinidad, we have such an incredible view.  Both below and above.

A couple of days ago while hiking on our property, I looked up and really saw the profoundly deep cerulean blue of the sky.  No smog.  Seldom any planes.  Just the magically infinite blue of the sky.

Today, as I walked on the property, I saw the varied shades of blue and gray and purple of storm clouds.  Snow is coming.  And sure enough, we got about 1" by the afternoon.  Not much, but every bit helps.  It's been so dry here.

I visited my friend, Brutus, today.  He offered his ears for me to scratch through the chain-link fence.  I met his owner a week ago.  He was raking out Brutus's "home."  He appeared to believe that he's taking really good care of the dog.  He feeds him.  He rakes out the place.  He's provided a dog house with a sleeping bag in it. 

When I mentioned that I'm coming over every day to hang out with Brutus for a few minutes, he didn't seem concerned.  He just thinks that it's OK to leave his dog out on a chain -- no matter what the weather.  So when I visited today Brutus was so happy to see me.  He ate his treats with enthusiasm.  Then he gently mouthed my fingers -- just as Schultz used to do.

I used to laugh when I'd give Schultz a rawhide bone.  He'd take it in his mouth somewhat reluctantly.  Then he'd stand there... first one eyebrow would rise and then the other.  He'd look around, then he'd go outside to bury it.  Only when it was nice and soft and muddy would he dig it up, bring it inside to my just-cleaned carpet and eat it. 

 
So when I gave Brutus a rawhide bone the other day, he did the bit with the eyebrows and then went to bury it!  I thought that was a Schultz thing.  Turns out it's probably a German Shepherd thing.  It's times like these that I wish my little house wasn't quite as small as it is.





No comments: