Thursday, September 19, 2013

Walls!

Sam working on the framing


We have walls!  (Kind-of) 

We hired an amazing framer.  He's an Amish man who has a crew consisting of his 13 year old son, and 3 other men.  They came from Alamosa, a little over 100 miles away.  They knocked out the framing from slab to this in 2 days.  They are amazing.  And precise!  He's out there with his level and a square putting the wood exactly where it needs to go. 

We went by there this morning and he told us that he's gone as far as he can go without having the trusses there.  I ordered the trusses 6 weeks ago or so, Heaven knows why they're not there yet, but they should be delivered tomorrow morning.

Once the trusses are in place, he will measure and order the roof material.  We should be going to pick up the metal next Wednesday.  He should have the roof on by Friday.  Then we'll be ready for the bales.  We should be driving up to Salida on the 27th to pick those up.  Then it's baling time! 

Tomorrow, Chuck will be meeting with a stucco crew.  I wouldn't mind meeting them, too.  One thing that I've learned in this process, if a man isn't treating me with respect for my intellect, then I'm not interested in doing business with him.  So many times I've gotten the feeling of, "You're just a woman, what do you know?"  Well I happen to know a lot.  I'm not going to put up with that crap any more.  (Not that I really ever did.)

The other day I was driving Les's pickup up our road.  Some idiot in an old beat-up Blazer was riding right on my bumper.  Finally, after turning onto our private road, he decided he wanted to pass me.  On a curve -- on a dirt road!  I said, "Oh No You're NOT!" and swerved to cut him off.  Then stopped to confront the jerk.  He claimed that he was late for work.  Well who works up there??  Except if it's on my property?  I asked him where he was working and he got belligerent.  So I told him in no uncertain terms that if he's working on my property, he's fired!  Well he turned off before we got to our place, so I didn't have the pleasure of making him sweat.  But what a jerk!

Anyway, on to more pleasant things.  The wedding was wonderful.  Absolutely magical and perfect... with the exception of drama from some family members.  You just have to sigh, and then love them anyway.

I have pictures up on my FaceBook page.  But I will post a few here, too.

No comments: