Monday, October 3, 2011

Colorado Cruising - Part 3

Les standing next to a "Stanley Steamer," in the lobby of the Stanley Hotel.
Who doesn't know the movie, "The Shining?"  Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall were so great in that movie.  And it was written by my favorite author... Stephen King.  I just love the imagination that goes into his books.

The true story is that Stephen King stayed at the Stanley Hotel in room 217.  After dinners, he would wander the halls and imagine what it would be like for people to be stranded in a haunted hotel.  It was from these halls that "The Shining" took root.  But that's pretty much where the relation to Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece and this great, old hotel ends.

However... what a beautiful and historic place.  I asked for a room on the 4th floor and we were registered into room 406.  Those who know me know that I believe in ghosts, fairies and aliens -- among other mysteries.  Yeah, I know... but how can I not believe in magic in this world?  (Or in other worlds??)  The 4th floor is reputed to have the most "activity,"  although room 217 is pretty busy, too.

Room 217
While outside getting our bags to bring up to the room, I could have sworn I heard, "Mommy," spoken close to my ear.  I looked around and didn't see anything, so I'll just chalk it up to a weird thing that happened.  And while retiring to our room later that evening, I heard bumps and creaks, but I'm sure that was just an old hotel talking.  We fell asleep while watching, "The Shining," of all things.

It was such a beautiful place.  Earlier in the evening Les and I sat on the long, white porch and drank a glass of wine.  We talked about the history of the place.  It's over 100 years old and has hosted presidents, movie stars and plain-old folks like us.

Modern comfort is more to Les's liking - but I just love to run my hand across a window sill or a banister that has seen some history.  The woodwork in the lobby was spectacular.  The glass in the windows had the same feel as our cozy little house -- with the bubbles and the imperfections of old glass.


The Stanley -- what a beautiful place! 
I was looking forward to seeing the elk in Estes Park, but there were none while we were there.  It's been a strange year in the weather.  The animals are doing what they can to survive.  The park ranger at Rocky Mountain National Park said that the elk were going to be a couple weeks late this year.  So we didn't see any.  But maybe with some luck I might see some up on our little mountain top.  I see their poop... I know they're around somewhere!

Les and Mary at the Stanley Hotel
Hallway of the Stanley just outside of our room.

No comments: