Thursday, October 10, 2013

Bales

Almost through with the bales.
Oh what a job this is!  The bales are about 50 pounds apiece. Before you stack them, you have to measure each one, in several places, for moisture. Then, most of the bales need to be notched. This is done with a small electric chainsaw. The point of notching is so that the bales will fit snugly around the post and beam frame of the house. While you're notching, cutting, stacking and tying the bales, straw flies everywhere. I mean everywhere.

Lucy and Mindy just love the straw!
It gets in your mouth, your hair, your shoes and down my bra. I don't even need to be the one cutting for that to happen. Talk about uncomfortable!  The second I get home I strip and shower. I take a Benadryl and I put lotion everywhere.  Every place where the brittle straw touches leaves a little irritation. We all feel so beat up. Hands are cut, knuckles scraped, knees bruised and backs sore.

But it will be so worth it. Look at what we've accomplished. I get such a kick out of watching it take shape. And Les is my hero. He works so hard on it. He and Chuck (also my hero) have hired one more guy. The 3 of them  are about 75% done with the bales. The septic was inspected and approved yesterday.  We just need to finish the bales and get it dried in  soon. The windows should be delivered next Tuesday.

It's really going to be so beautiful!

Oh, to be a dog in a loving family.


Les notching the bale.
This is the north wall under the porch. Just have to finish a little on the top.
The corner next to the front door. 



No comments: