Sunday, December 1, 2013

Nature

The house is coming along really well.  We got most of the ceiling up, and are now onto drywall.  It's really exciting to see the rooms take shape.  Things that I hadn't noticed before, like a sconce being in the (horribly) wrong place are now easy to see.  Les promised to have Tom come out to fix that light.  But everything else is absolutely wonderful.

We saw a bald eagle fly over the house on Friday.  I am taking it as a very, very good omen.  This is the first bald eagle I've seen (in the wild) since a trip to northern Wisconsin many, many years ago.  I know they're very common in the Northwest, but it's rare to see one here.  I didn't think to grab my camera, but I did think to grab my hubby.  I ran back into the house and yelled for Les to come quick!  Both he and Chuck rushed out to see the magical sight.

Our neighbors had a visitor
We had snow early last week.  And our neighbors had a visitor.  This truly gives testimony to the fact that we are in God's territory.  What a wonder.  I know I wouldn't like to come face to face with this critter without shelter keeping me safe, but they're sure beautiful.  It looks like this one is a little female.  It's the adolescent males you really have to watch out for, but I'm sure this girl could do quite a lot of damage if she were so inclined, too.

Slinking away into the snow.
See that sconce connection to the right of the door?  NOT OK!
We have purchased just about everything needed for our home.  We have the remaining payments to go to the plumber, cabinet maker, and granite dealer.  Chuck still has a lot of work to do, but we seem to be running out of money again.  We had to extend our initial loan once already.  That's what happens when you do the contracting yourself.  You have no guidance as to the cost of things.  Chuck has been a God-send.  And I have been watching every penny and shopping til my eyes are sore for the best bargains.  I'm proud of myself for getting some really great bargains, too.  But still.  There is only so much money to go around.  I figure this build will wind up costing us about $105 per square foot.  And for what we will have as our finished product, that is a bargain!





No comments: