Friday, December 27, 2013

December

Tiles around the front door.  We will "mud" them in when the glue is dry.
Throughout this process of building our strawbale house, some things seem to just take forever.  That's how December has been.  It just seemed to drag on, and then BAM!  Progress is made.

The stove in front of the rock wall.

We hired a "mud" guy (sheet rock mud, that is) to finish the drywall taping, texturing, etc.  He finished all of the texture today.  He did it by hand, because for one thing, it was easy for him.  For another thing, if we had sprayed on the texture, we would have had to cover everything.  And I mean everything.  Walls, floors, and even our beautiful ceiling.  It would have taken twice as long to cover everything as it did for this guy, Manuel, to walk around on his stilts and give us our fine texture by hand.  He really hated doing the skylights, but c'est la vie, huh?

We have our full first coat of cement on the insides of the walls now, too.  Tomorrow they will start on the second coat, then finally gypsum plaster.

We should be able to start painting the sheet rock next week.

And, we finished our rock wall today.  Got everything all cleaned and trimmed out, then we put in the wood stove.  It looks wonderful.  We even started a little fire today.  We put the tiles around the front door this week, too.  When the lights are all hung, it will look stunning.  (To me anyway.)

Success!!!
I'm so happy that progress is happening.  Les lugged some of the granite we had behind the garage over to the house so that I can start my window sill project.  I took a good part of today breaking the pieces for my mosaic.  It's going to look lovely.  And the back splash I have planned for the kitchen will be one of a kind.  Les isn't sold on it yet, but he just can't see what's in my head.  After the kitchen is installed, I can lay it all out for him so he can see what I mean.  It will be so unique and beautiful!
The granite pieces I will use for the window sills and back splash.




Our beautiful home.

No comments: