Sunday, December 8, 2013

Work

It's coming together.  Fortunately, and unfortunately, my business has been slow November and now December.  This gives me time to work on the house.  And it's coming together.

Hoar frost
 
Chuck hired a new helper.  His name is Jared, he's just out of prison after 10 years for shooting 2 people (gangs!)  The kid is 24 years old.  But he seems honest and hard working.  He has bright, intelligent eyes when you talk to him.  I like him.  We invited him to Thanksgiving dinner, now that both of our boys are in Utah.  It would have been just the two of us.  Kind of a bummer.  Jared accepted, and came exactly on time for dinner, wolfed down 2 heaping plates of food, said thank you very much and left 35 minutes later.  I couldn't expect an unrelated 24 year old to hang around 2 old farts like us, though.  So we packed up the leftovers, did dishes, then went about our normal routine.  I was still glad he came.  He definitely brought his appetite!

The view from my living room window
Quite a bit of the drywall is up now.  The showers all have their cement board on them.  Les and I started to put the rocks on the wall behind where the wood stove is going.  But as the day got colder, the mortar wouldn't stick.  So we quit that for now.  But it's going to look spectacular.  Our neighbor, Cindy, gave us all of the leftover rocks she had for her project.  She put them on the outside of her house. 

Friday I sealed the ceilings in the mud room, the powder room and the laundry room.  Jared did 1/2 of the ceiling in the living/dining/kitchen area.  I'm glad I'm not doing that room.  The peak of that ceiling is 14' tall.  Too much for me.  Three steps up on a ladder and that's just about how high I'll go. 

Les working on the master shower
The past several days have seen frigid weather.  For several days, it didn't get out of the teens during the day.  There was an icy wind blowing.   There was a lot of fog, which caused ice crystals to form on everything.  That's a hoar frost.  But there was a phenomenon I've never seen before. There were very swift, low lying clouds for the past 3 days.  There were blue skies above these scattered clouds, but the moisture in the air was crystallizing and caused a glitter effect.  What a magical effect, although none that I could photograph.  But these little crystal glitters floated in the air for 2 full days.  Just gorgeous. 

Can't wait to live in my new house!


Looking toward the kitchen with skylight.



The rocks coming together - wood stove will be in front.

No comments: