Sunday, June 20, 2010

California Memories

Day 41

When I look back to just a few short days ago, I recall walking to the pickup after packing up the last of our things.  Several thoughts and feelings went through me.  Excitement that the final California day had come.  Anticipation of the long trip ahead.  A little melancholy when I took in the view toward the ocean.  I saw Boney Mountain as the ocean mist was starting to come in.  I captured a whiff of orange blossoms.  There will be some things that I will miss.

We arrived in Trinidad on Friday afternoon.  Exhausted and completely worn out.  We grabbed a few things to bring to the duplex.  I have to find a different name rather than "the duplex."  It's not a house, it's not an apartment.  Les & I always called it 444.  And now our rental unit is still 442.  Somehow I always knew that we'd wind up on this side rather than the 442 side.  For now, I will call it "home."

Yesterday, Saturday, we hired some local kids to help unpack the big truck.  It's a good thing that Les has a big garage.  He was so funny that when he saw it for the first time, he walked up to the corner by the door and hugged it.  He loves his new garage. Anyway, with the 16' utility trailer, the 10' enclosed trailer, the Polaris Ranger and all of his tools and our stuff, the garage is full.  It's not official yet because I'm certain that Les will find a way to organize it, but for right this moment... it's full.

DJ was a God-send through all of this.  We couldn't have done it without him.  He still has the remainder of his leave which is about 20 more days so he's here playing his video games on our TV.  He sleeps in the chair.  We've offered him a very comfortable fold out bed, but he's content in the chair.  He doesn't complain, he helps where he can.  He's an amazing young man. 

We entertained our friends, Jim and Joelle today.  Joelle and I had some time to talk.  I love this little town.  I feel so welcome here.  My heart is content in the knowledge that this is the best place for us to be.

More later...

No comments: