Sunday, June 6, 2010

Storms

When I lived in the midwest about a thousand years ago, I loved the storms.  Not only were the storms beautiful, but they had an ominous, somewhat scary feel to them. 

Today we had a storm.  It didn't rain much... in fact it rained only enough to get the car dirty.  But the lightning streaking across the sky... absolutely amazing.  The bolts of lightning were like boney hands reaching out, then quickly disappearing.  One of the things I like about storms is how much power Mother Nature has.  Just when you think you've got a handle on things, dear old Mom reminds you of how insignificant you really are.  Kind of like a reality check.  She puts a few things back into perspective.

Today, being Sunday, we didn't get much accomplished as far as the house goes.  Les talked to Joe Febbraro.  He's our "dirt" guy.  Joe's a kind old soul.  I really like him.  Anyway, we have to work on the entry to our driveway... take 3.  It's too steep & too angled.  It will be difficult in the winter and it will be difficult for any of the big trucks to get up there.  So, he's going to bring "the big dozer" up to work on the road again. 
He's not charging us that much, but the lesson learned here is to do your best to do something once and be done with it.  Something that is hard for me and is something I really have to work on is to tell someone that the job is not satisfactory yet & it needs to be done right or done over.  Now I'm not suggesting that Joe caused this issue with the driveway.  That was totally us.  But I really need to get tough with the trades we'll be hiring to do our house. 

Les is pretty non-confrontational too.  But I think that he'll be better at this than I because he'll be right in the mix most of the time.  That's what I'm hoping anyway.

More later...

No comments: