Sunday, June 13, 2010

Moving

DJ and I left for California early Friday morning.  Our intent was to get as far as we could in one day... probably Kingman or maybe Needles.  We hitched up my little trailer the night before so as not to wake the neighbors by fussing around in the early morning.  By 6:00 am, we were on the road.  What a beautiful morning. 

It was raining on the Colorado side of the pass, but as soon as we crossed into New Mexico we saw the sunrise on a clear day.  I was watching for elk and bear, but they were playing hard to get.

Just before Albuquerque and after about 3-1/2 hours of driving we took a break and fueled up.  I took over the driving while DJ tried to sleep.  I was really struggling to keep my eyes open after only 40 minutes or so.  I had to pull over and DJ took over driving again.  What a great young man he has turned out to be.  Strong, trustworthy and really reliable. 

I napped a little while he drove, then we switched in western New Mexico.  Again I was too tired.  After being Mom all of these years, my 22 year old son was taking care of me.  I was so glad we were traveling together.  Finally I got some real sleep so that I could actually share in the driving duties and covered the way from Flagstaff to Victorville in California.  Then DJ took us on in to Newbury Park.  We arrived at 11:30.  We drove straight through in one day.

The sunset we witnessed while going through the Mojave Desert was spectacular! 

It was SO good to see Les.  I really missed him.  I think he missed me, too.  Schultz was an angel the whole way.  He just slept.  He had hardly any space, but he didn't complain.  The hardest thing with him is that I have to help him get in and out of the truck.  And it's a really tall truck!  I can't let him jump down on his own any more because of his spine, so I kind of carry my 85 pound German Shepherd down out of the car and I let gravity help a little. 

Today we're packing up this horrible little apartment.  Tomorrow we'll get the big truck and probably hire some day laborers to help load it.  Les's partner, Frank, has been storing Les's motorcycle and our Polaris so we have to get those and load them up on their trailers.  This is a really BIG job... moving.

As far as the straw bale is concerned, I really thought that I found a good guy to be a consultant for us.  Remember the guy with the firm handshake who looked me right in the eye?  He was supposed to get back to me by Friday and I haven't heard from him.  I left him 2 messages.  That's Trinidad for you.... NEXT!

Andy decided he was going to go live with a friend in Boise.  Today I bought him a one-way ticket.  I sure hope this will be a "do-over" for him and he gets his head on straight.  He's a really great guy... just needs a reality check.  I hope he finds what he's looking for.

No comments: