Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Hiking

Just a beautiful patch of trees and sunlight
One of the wonderful things about having 35+ acres of land is that you get to hike it.  We often walk the road on our property -- almost daily.  We have our typical paths we walk.  I always stop to appreciate the magnificence of our land.  And I thank God for making it for us.

Les with his beloved cup of coffee
 Palm leaf fossil
Today we decided to hike some of the lower part of our property.  The majority of our land consists of a very steep canyon covered with pinons, junipers, cypress and fir trees.  At the bottom of the canyon is a stream bed and lots of ... you guessed it... rocks.  I've only been down to the bottom of the canyon once.  But it's time to change that.

Barrel cactus
So today we went "off-roading" a bit and hiked down a little ways just to explore.  And it was lots of fun.  Both of the dogs really enjoyed it and so did Les and I.  Both of us find it amusing to say, "See that rock over there?  That's my rock."  Or, "See that tree?  That's my tree."  It's amazing to me that we have such a place that -- to me -- is wondrous.  I don't know what I ever did to deserve such a place, but I'm certain that for the rest of my life I will still stop and gaze with respect and appreciation this perfect piece of land.
Moqui Marble 

No comments: