Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Week in Review

This was an emotionally exhausting week for me.  January is always a tough month for me with all of the tax returns and W2's and 1099s.  But this week was hard because a former client decided to make it hard.

I don't understand why people are the way they are sometimes.  They delight in taking their aggressions out on others.

That's why -- ever since I was 16 years old -- I wanted to live on a mountain top in Colorado.  I didn't want to have to see people if I didn't want to.  Frankly, I think I'll be able to go some time before I have to run into town for companionship.  My trees and my dogs (not to mention my wonderful husband) will be my companions and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Today, Saturday, we hiked the lower part of our property again.  We see so much petrified wood and so many fossils.  And in my last post I put in a picture of a Moqui Marble.  We see scat of all kinds.  Lots of evidence of various fauna, but we still don't spy the actual critter on our property. 

My hunch is that, since we are the first to spend any measurable time up there, they're just not used to the noise we make.  I am certainly no light foot.  The animals could probably hear me a mile away.

The other day Les saw 6 deer frolicking at the bottom of the canyon.  There's more traffic there as people have lived at the bottom for over 10 years.  I think the critters just know that the people are passing through and they don't concern themselves too much.

We also saw a gorgeous fox the other day.  It was dark and we had just dropped off Les's truck in our garage.  As I was driving down the canyon a fox ran in front of us, paused at the edge of the road, and we eyed each other as I stopped to watch her.  She was gorgeous!  A red coat, white on the tip of her tail and black stockings.  She trotted right next to my Jeep and I was in awe of her beauty.  What a treat! 
Unfortunately, I was no-where quick enough to snap a picture.  Too bad.

No comments: