Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Middle of Winter in Colorado

It's 10:15 PM as I sit down to write this.  It's 50 degrees outside.

Last week at this time it was -19 degrees.  -19 degrees!!!!!!!!!  
On the county road leading up to our place in Prospect Canyon.


What's really weird is that... I don't mind so much.  I'm a tad disappointed that all the snow is melting.  But then I think I'd be surprised if it didn't snow again once or twice before winter is over.  Regardless, it was kind-of fun to be reminded about what real winters are all about.  Mud rooms... winter boots... the practice of putting on layers of clothes... gloves... scarf... and all of this just to get the dogs out to pee.

While Schultz was growing up into the fine senior canid that he is, he always had the use of a doggie door.  And that's really not practical here in Trinidad.... and even less so when we finally get to move up to the mountain.  As much as I'd love to have our "kids" have free access to the outdoors, that would also mean we'd have all sorts of other critters to have free access to the house.  Not such a good idea.

In Newbury Park, Andrew went out into the garage one night and came face to face with a raccoon.  Both froze and stared at each other for several moments.  Then in unison they turned and ran from each other.  So as convenient as doggie doors are, they are not without their problems.

I'm not sure how I got onto the doggie door rant, but there it is anyway.

Isn't this just beautiful?  Les's "circle."
Oh, yeah, I remember... the coat and boots and scarf and gloves just to let the dogs pee.  The use of the doggie door has left both Schultz and I with a communication problem.  He never had to ask to go out before.  So I bring him outside and we hang out for a while until he does his business.  With Mindy, there's no problem.  With Schultz, things just aren't flowing the way they used to when he was young.

Since I have to go out late in the evening, I guess I'd be foolish to complain about 50 degrees.





Schultz and Mindy playing with Ranger... Jim & Joelle's dog.

No comments: