Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Weather

Pristine snow on the circle.
The weather has been a huge topic the last few days.  Of course Chicago is digging out after a huge storm.  The east coast has ice.  And here we have very cold temperatures and some snow.  I don't mind at all.

Today is Thursday.  Monday it snowed all day.  The kids and I went up to the mountain top early Monday.  It was just starting to snow.  We took our usual walk and I watched as the clouds completely enveloped the little town of Trinidad.

On our way down the mountain it was starting to snow harder and harder.  I decided the best thing to do was to just hunker down in our little house and stay warm.  I hadn't moved the car since coming home on Monday.  And that's just fine with me.
Schultz near the rock at the bottom of our driveway.

Mindy was going stir crazy this week as we couldn't even get outside for our walks.  In her boredom, she ate a towel that I kept by the door to wipe off muddy paws.  She ate a plastic flower pot on the porch.  Now -- she doesn't just chew it up and spit it out.  She actually eats it.  That girl will eat literally anything.  Rocks, poop, newspapers, SHOES, etc.

The "circle."

Last night I let them out in the front of the house.  We have about 4 steps leading up to our front porch.  So the porch is maybe 4' above the front yard.  Mindy was harrassing Schultz as usual and I watched as she got closer and closer to the edge of the porch.  Suddenly she slipped and disappeared off the edge and then all I saw was this poof of powdery snow.  It looked exactly like the cartoons! 

This morning it was -17 degrees.  Way, way cold!  It made it up to about 25 degrees and was so sunny and beautiful that I decided to go on up to the mountain to let the kids stretch their legs.

But today they enjoyed going up to the mountain top with all their hearts.  Even Schultz was loping along in the snow.  And every time I go up there, I stop and gaze in wonder.  It's so beautiful.  Thank you God.  Thank you so much for this piece of heaven.  I love this land so much.  It nourishes and settles my soul. 
The Sangre de Cristo range to the west.
Our garage on the right.

No comments: