Sunday, March 20, 2011

Friends

It's hard to be mad at her when she's just so cute!
Now a couple of weeks ago I wrote about Mindy's battle with me.  And how she fussed and fought with me when I grabbed her collar.

After some in-depth introspection, I've decided that this whole mess was essentially my fault.  Mindy was a Pound Puppy.  Who knows what her past was all about.  And even though I did not raise a hand to her or hurt her in any way, I was very angry that she ran from me and she knew it.

But what I really wanted to blog about was the support I received from some people who have become very important to me.

For some reason, I became very emotional on this day.  Those who know me know that I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve anyway, but this day felt like a betrayal.  It was almost as though I'd had an argument with my kid and he hauled off and punched me.  That's how it felt when Mindy left me punctured and bleeding.  Dumb, I know... but that's the way I am.

Here's what's so cool about it all.  I tried to reach Les immediately and for some very strange reason, my reliable iPhone wouldn't work.  (Les was out of town.) So I sent out an S.O.S. to my friends Jim  and Joelle via email to have them call Les and tell him what happened.  Literally within 10 minutes Jim was at my doorstep to lend any help and comfort he could.  I didn't have any peroxide so he ran to the store to get me some.  While at the store he ran into Jeff and told him the story.  When Jim got back from the store he helped me to cleanse my wounds.  He was only there a few minutes before Joelle showed up.  Jim left and Joelle sat with me.  Just as she was getting ready to leave my friend Angela showed up because Jeff told Angela's husband, Ken about my dilemma.  Angela spent the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon with me.  She drove me to the doctor for a tetanus shot and medical help.  She ran to the store for Neosporin.  She took me to the store after the doctor's appointment to drop off the prescriptions I was given.

That evening I received a call from Steve and Carol.  They were checking up on me as they had heard about what happened.  I heard from John and Jan -- they heard from someone else.

We have been in this quaint little town less than one year.  We already have wonderful, genuine friends who truly care about us.


I'm amazed and so grateful.  I love this place.

By the way, my wounds have pretty much healed.  I have one puncture that gives me a little trouble now and then, but all-in-all, I'm fine.  And as for Mindy -- we took her to a certified trainer about 80 miles from here.  (There was no one closer.)  The trainer sees Mindy as being exceptionally smart and completely workable.  She gave us a few hints and worked with us for a couple of hours showing us what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong.  Mindy seems like a changed pup.  She's sweet and loving.  I know that "the incident" scared her and I don't believe anything like that will ever happen again.

No comments: