Saturday, July 10, 2010

Catching Up.

I know it's been a long time since I've written about our adventures.  I've been struggling with having to wait for my home.  But I think that I've reconciled everything well enough so that I can start heading in the right direction again.  I feel like I've really been de-railed due to the fact that we can't start building this year.  I've been pushing and pushing, but I have to come to terms with the idea that I can't always have my way.  My head knows the right thing to do is wait... but my heart wants my house today.

On to happier things!  Yesterday was our 27th anniversary!  We went out to a little Mexican restaurant that we like.  Our friends Jim and Joelle, Ken and Angela, and Steve and Carol joined us.  What fun.

After dinner Les & I went up to our property.  Les has been working on trimming the dead branches from the trees surrounding our building site.  He's also been cutting away some of the scrub oak so that we can walk through the trees with ease.  It's really amazing what he's done so far.

A few days ago we hired a guy to fix the entrance to our driveway.  The Ranch Owner's Association road cuts through our property (as it does everyone's) but our building site was a good 20-30 feet in elevation above that road.  So we cut a road up to the property about 3 years ago.  That was a very tight turn and extremely steep.  It would have been impossible for any trucks to get up there with our building materials. 

Last year we hired another guy to fix that problem.  He came with his bulldozer and widened the entrance to our driveway.  He also "cut a road" to our newly chozen building site.  We put another 20' of culvert at the entrance to the driveway. 

Still, though, it was too steep and too sharp of a turn.

Bob from Febbraro Construction came to fix the entrance to the driveway once and for all.  He had to knock down several trees to accomplish this, but we now have a manageable, safer entrance onto our property. 

Moral of the story... You may have to redo things as you go to build your home.  Try to keep all of that to a minimum, obviously.  But I think it may be inevitable.  People change their minds and make changes to the plan.  And sometimes the people you hire are not the sharpest tools in the shed and you have to have their work redone.

The end to yesterday was wonderful.  Les and I went up to the property and watched the sunset.  Glorious -- Magnificent -- Majestic -- Perfect.

No comments: