Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Road

Some "forward" progress has been made on the house... or at least the driveway. 

Several days ago I wrote about how the entrance to our driveway was steep & sharp and somewhat dangerous.  That problem has now been resolved for the most part.  Next, comes the actual driveway.

Last year we had a guy come up and cut a road to our building site.  He did a fine job, but with the construction of the shed (garage) during the winter, there were monstrous ruts in the dirt.  The whole time I've been living here I've been bouncing about on the top of these ruts trying to smooth them back down, but there's only so much my little Jeep can do so we brought out the big guns.

This picture is of the big grader we hired to "de-rut" our road.  I am standing where our living room will be looking down at the "Ranch Owner's Association" (ROA) road.  The grader is on its way up!

Once the road is nice and smooth again, we are hauling in 275 tons (Yes, you read it correctly.) of gravel.  With any luck, we'll be able to take good care of our road so that any and all touch-ups will be held to a minimum.  This part of our construction will eat up a little over $3,200 and we haven't even gotten to the house yet!  I see our savings dwindling rapidly, but it's all for my dream. 

I can't wait!

No comments: