Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Building Update

I realize that I haven't been writing much about the building of the house.  It's become apparent to me that we will have to wait longer than I had hoped. 

While we intended to start building this year, the fact that the time was flying by us made us think that early next year would be better to start our home.  But since our financial situation has changed dramatically, we probably can't start building for another couple of years at the earliest. 

We have the debt to pay off from our last house.  And that's a huge bill every month.  I figure that in another 36 months, that will be paid off as well as my Jeep payment.  Then we'll have a substantial saving which we can put into our home.

Les is not happy about being in "charge" of building the house either.  I really wanted to be our own general contractor so that we can save thousands of dollars.  There are many talented people in the area we can hire to do the work for us, but he's got the notion that I want him to do all of the work himself.  Nothing could be further from the truth, but I can't get that out of his head.

At this point, I'm the sole support of our family and as Les is pretty much retired, I thought that organizing and hiring subcontractors would be right up his alley.  He's made it pretty clear that he's not interested. 

I don't know what I'm going to do.  I work 50+ hours a week and making the time will be tough, but I'm not about to give up on my dream so I will do whatever I have to do to get it done.  That's why I'm thinking that if we wait for 3 years, I won't need to earn as much and maybe I'll have time to be the general contractor myself. 

I don't know... it's really depressing.  Something that I've wanted since I was 16 years old is just outside my reach and I'm not getting any help to grab it.  It makes me cry.

No comments: