Thursday, May 27, 2010

Call for Bids


So last Monday I called 12-15 roofing, plumbing & electrical contractors to ask for an estimate on our home. Today is Thursday and I've heard back from 2. It's amazing that, in this economy, people don't call you back. There's a saying around here that I've heard from more than one person. "That's Trinidad for you."

I'm not sure if it's just Trinidad, or if possibly it's because a woman is asking. I try to educate myself as much as possible before I go into a conversation with some people so I don't look like a dunce. So Les is now handling most of the phone work & he sets up appointments and I meet the contractor.

I just met a wonderful man who will be putting our electrical "platform" in. What's a platform, you ask? It's where your electrical meter sits after the pole & before the building. This man is also a dog lover & said to Schultz, "I love you Baby." This is after I explained Schultz's condition, of course. This man gets extra points for being a dog lover.

The clouds today are absolutely majestic. Looking up to appreciate the sky brings an added dimension into play. You just don't usually see clouds like this in California. I'm so happy to be here.

Schultz is still with us. I had an appointment yesterday to let him go, but neither of us were ready. Maybe he can wait until Les comes. Schultz will let me know when it's time.

More later....

No comments: