Sunday, May 23, 2010

It's nearly 10:00 at night. I'm sitting at my computer in front of a huge picture window. In the darkness of the night I can see a handful of lights twinkling in the little town of Trinidad. Beyond that, I see the flash of lightning that illuminates the clouds far away.

Trinidad sits at the base of the mountains and to its east lie the plains of Colorado. I think that God spent a little extra time when He made this place.

DJ drove down from Colorado Springs yesterday. We had a nice, relaxing time together. We had an adventure trying to light the BBQ in the tremendous winds that have been blowing the last 3 days. Once we finally got it lit & I started to put food on it to cook, the wind would blow out the flame again.

Around 8:00 we decided to run to town & get dinner there. The BBQ and/or the wind was obviously not cooperating! We met our friend, Jim, on the road & invited him to join us. Jim's a great guy... married to Joelle, another wonderful person. Jim & DJ have something in common as Jim is retired from the Army.

This morning DJ & I met Jim at a local restaurant. He & some friends get together for breakfast every Sunday after church. I saw some people that I've met over the years. They accepted me with open arms. I feel so welcome here.

After breakfast, DJ took me for a drive in his new Dodge diesel pickup. We drove Highway 12 -- also known as he "Highway of Legends." I'm not sure why they call it that, but it sure is beautiful! We stopped & had a nice lunch in Cuchara. Just a really nice, relaxing day.

DJ saw a gravel road off of the main road & decided to see where it went. He's a chip off the old block... I used to do that, too, when I was his age. Anyway, we passed groves & groves of Aspen trees that were just starting to leaf out from the cold of winter. Then, we saw a man coming out of the trees, dressed in camouflage & carrying a rifle. He did not look very pleased that we were there... in fact, he gave me the creeps. But DJ reasoned that he was probably just a hunter on the trail of something & we got in the way. No wonder he looked so grumpy.

Tomorrow I will be calling for more bids... probably the framing and the roof.

I've wondered about what to call this blog. Basically, I wanted to write about "Two Old Farts -- Married Forever & Building a House Together." What do you think of the title?

No comments: