Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sad Day

A very sad day today. My wonderful dog, Schultz, has been diagnosed with cancer and it has already eaten away some of the bones in his spine. He's in pain. He's not himself.

I know what I have to do, but it will be very hard. He's been my companion for 10 years now. Sometimes I call him my shadow because he's always by my side no matter where I go. And he seems to know, just with a look, when I need him to do something.

But not today. Today he is lying on the floor in a cool, dark room. He knows what has to be done, too.

It was one of those things you hear about all the time with rescued dogs. Love at first sight. When I first laid eyes on him I knew. Puppy number 12 is what he was called at the Camarillo Animal Shelter. A lanky, sickly 5 month old puppy. And he has grown up to be a gorgeous German Shepherd with goofy, floppy ears.

We had an appointment with the vet this afternoon, but I can't do it yet. I can't let go yet.

No comments: