Wednesday, May 19, 2010

DJ's Homecoming

DJ's Homecoming
After many emails & vague arrival dates, I was finally on my way toward Colorado Springs on Sunday. Our son, Daniel, has been deployed in Afghanistan for a year. Now his tour was over & he was on his way back to US soil. As I drove from our new home in Trinidad toward Colorado Springs, I was amazed at how relaxed I felt. I've been here one short week & I already feel some of the stress leaving me. I was so looking forward to DJ's arrival. Schultz went with me, of course.

We got to "The Springs" in the early afternoon & quickly checked into our hotel. I wanted to get to the base as soon as possible as I knew it may be a challenge to get on the base & find the place we were to meet.I arrived at the base in the mid-afternoon and waited in line as security searched all of the vehicles. I was really impressed at the obvious attention to the security and safety that was paid on behalf of the troops. But afterwards, I found my way to the building where the families waited for their loved ones. The building was electric with excitement... it's been a long year since these young men & women left. I met some very nice people and seemed to have a lot in common with a woman I met there. She, too, is building a house in this area. She, too, is a dog lover. You can't go wrong when you're a dog lover.

After some time, the soldiers were finally allowed into the building. The base General said some very passionate words -- especially having to do with the 36 soldiers who would not be coming home. Then he released them to go to their families. At first, I didn't see DJ & was searching for him. Then, I spotted him. I had my cell phone in my hand & was taking a video. It's funny to see the video shaking enthustiastically -- which was when I was waving for DJ. He finally saw me & walked toward me with a huge, wonderful smile. Once I had my arms around my son I felt a wave of emotion that I didn't know I was holding inside me. It was so good to have my baby back in my arms again and I wept with relief that he was here & he was safe.

That evening & the next day we spent together. We did nothing extraordinary or special... but it was so nice to be with him again. What a great kid he is.I headed back for "home" that evening. I saw storm clouds and a sparkling double rainbow. The clouds were amazing in their drama. There were a few flashes of lightening.I arrived in Trinidad to see snow on the roofs on most of the houses. There was snow, yet it was 55 degrees. Really weird! I wanted to get a good night's sleep because I was to meet 4 contractors the next day on the property. More about that later....

2 comments:

Randy said...

Please extend a big ol' welcome home to DJ for me!

Mary Byington said...

I will! Thanks so much!